View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
Thanks for the replies re 4wd, very interesting,

I just see the way 993TTs, 996TTs and 997TTs get off the line, stock ones beat the same model GT2s with more power. 9ff's fastest car is 4wd, quicker than their more powerful GT3 version, anyway, just askin....
You're comparing apples to oranges imo: mostly stock cars and street orientated cars to a fully modified car with drag compound tires. 4WD is safer to sell to the general audience when a car has lots and lots of power.

I saw 9ff's 900+ hp car a few years ago doing a 10.25 1/4 mile and he spun his R-rated tires all the way. Talked to him for a while waiting together in the line (at Bitburg, germany). Even his soft circuit orientated semi-slicks at really low tire pressure were not right for a really fast drag pass.
With the right rubber, the weight transfer on a 'perfect' drag race start is always maximally to the rear axle. Tire choice is paramount.
With conventional tires (GT2), the same drag race start looses traction quickly and your better off with 4WD.
99% of the people are better off with 4WD and both 9ff and Porsche want to sell cars (and not held liable for people killing themselves, bad for business), not win drag races...

Eddy is that rare 1% I suppose

That old heavy Skyline won;t know what hit him LOL!

Last edited by Beetspeed; 06-27-2012 at 11:55 PM..
Old 06-27-2012, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)