View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby466 View Post
Not sure about your car, but my 85 930 could not accept the rack bump steer kit. There is no room to raise the rack. I was reading in an old magazine article that the 930 front suspension had been modified to reduce nose dive. The cross-member had been raised and the front pan area modified to lower the front of the torsion bars making it impossible to install these bump steers (and also to remove the torsion bars without removing the whole a-arms...) compared to the normal 911 suspension.
I had no problem istalling the weltmiester rack spacer kit with 2 choices of longer rack mounting bolts in my '87 911 turbo. Be sure to loosen the steering column u-joint on the splined shaft so it can slide upwards as the rack is lifted upwards to install the 2 spacers. I think they are 10mm thick.

The pressure fuel line from the front pump goes over the top of the rack and it can still move around so it isn't squished against the bottom of the car so there's plenty of room for the spacers in mine.

Also you never need to remove the control arms to slide out the torsion bars. You just have to loosen the front control arm mounting bolts a little and remove the bolts mounting the aluminum crossmember and lower it around 2-3 inches so the ride hight adjusters bolts can be unscrewed and the adjusters slid back off the torsion bar splines and then the torsion bars slide out towards the back.

The front suspension stays in place hanging by the struts and the 6 loosened front control arm mounting bolts so you're just lowering the crossmember enough so the torsion bars clear the floor pan as they slide out of the control arms.
Not a big deal at all. Just grease or antiseize the bolt threads so they can't corrode in place down there and torque the bolts properly when done.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)