View Single Post

I think everybody would like to have stainless exhaust port studs and nuts. Can't make a good judgement on yours without seeing them. With B&B headers on the car I've installed new 12mm wrench size copper coated semi locking exhaust nuts on those studs and 4 years later they are so rusted a 12 point box end wrench can hardly grip them.

You've been offered the jig to drill them out if they break and you can get 8mm x 1.25 stainless studs in different lengths from PMO or ARP. The ARP ones are alot better I think since they are much more expensive.

I guess it comes down to how bad yours are and how much you want to do it while laying on your back under the car.
If you decide to embark on the adventure, squirt penetrating oil like PB blaster on them and then next day try heat from an actylene/oxygen torch on the stud.
Let the stud cool down from a dull red hot for a few seconds and with the double nuts try unscrewing them.
When the stud is heated to a dull red hot the expansion of the steel stud usually breaks up some of the rust and corrosion further up in the threads so they can be removed without breaking them... hopefully.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)