View Single Post
dkbautosports.com

dzus is a brand not a type of fastener . the name of the fastener i think your talking about is a quarter turn fastener .
that is how the type of panel should really be held on . they are held on that way becaus eof the ease if removel and install . i had the same QTR's on my 930 that just went off the the bone yard . they never cracked and should not if you have the fasteners placed in the right spots and you use them every 8 to 10 " apart . most people never have enough on the panels or they use the wrong sizes .
we could pull the rear panels off my old car in 2 or 3 minutes . they are like that for maintance reasons when you at the track and also if you ball up the car you can just place a new panel right on and keep your self in the race . if your only doing track days or not doing wheel to wheel racing than having that ease is not really necessary .
you could opt for nutserts and button head fasteners . they too would need to be placed about 8" to 10" apart to stop the fiborglass from cracking .
if you want to fiborglass in some 18 gage aluminum plating on the back side of the panel it will help . you would want to use a bare piece of aluminum sand it with 80 grit paper and clean it good with per paint cleaner and then glass it in with fiborglass cloth not mat . cross the weave of the cloth and use as little resin as possable . the more resin the better chance it will recrack . remember the resin cracks not the cloth .
you could also panel bond them on the car and mold them in doing it that way they are not removelable but if your not wheel to wheel racing it's not a big deal as you will not be doing serviceing as the race is going on .
Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)