View Single Post

Garage
To get the front evaporator out, you need to remove the front floorboard to get at a little duct fastened to the firewall that projects into the box.

This was a surprise... there is an amplifier fastened to the backside of the floorboard. Some hack whaled into to wiring harness in several places. I'm leaving it for another day for now; the radio doesn't work and the exhaust is loud. Up to this point, I've usually had the windows down when I drove anyway. That should change with the AC upgrade underway.

This is what it looks like once it's all pulled out.

The little slide clips on the box are difficult enough to remove on the workbench. Charlie recommends ditching them and securing the two halves with some #4 screws for easier in place service of the fan in the future. I definitely concur. You'd never get the slide on clips on in the smugglers box.

There's some gaskets and baffles that Charlie has developed that require some box prep work, but it's very straightforward work.

Here's the new evaporator next to the original. Different construction and 25 years younger. As nice as it looks, I hopefully never see it again.

Last edited by gsxrken; 08-04-2012 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: edited pic
Old 08-04-2012, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)