View Single Post

Garage
Swapping the thermostatic tube was tedious. First of all, it requires taking apart the cheesy console rack under the radio. Porsche left precious little extra wire length to work with. And the way the slots slide onto to each other was a truly frustrating experience. On my knees outside the car, reaching into the car under the dash, while getting occasional 2nd degree burns by my old school 75w drop light.

There was some dremel work required to a little plastic divider between the AC temp knob and the AC fan knob to fit the new thermostat. Another tidbit that I hope to not have to see again. Here's the new one next to the old bastard. I taped some auto wire to the old one before I pulled it, so I had a snake to repull the new one with. But the thermostat is fairly stiff, and cannot be bent sharply, so it's not as easy as it sounds. But it is done.

That's it for the first day. I hope that was the worst of it (and it really wasn't that bad, just physically tough from the contorting and bending over in the bonnet). I've got to read the directions to see what's up next in the sequence. He has the directions down to paint by numbers easy, probably to avoid all sorts of time-wasting phone calls into him. He did say figure on 8 hours to R&R the nearly 40ft of AC lines in the car. I just find that hard to believe, but I'll time myself for the heck of it when I get there.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)