View Single Post

Garage
Scuderia Red

I have never painted a car by myself, nor do I plan to, but when I wanted to re-create a red I had seen in order to have a car painted, I was dismayed at how nobody in the shop or in any paint shop around here knew how to do it. I did not give up and I researched this for a while and turns out that although white has been used by several manufacturers as a base for red, until recently the effect was not as dramatic for the sole reason that paints used to need to have lead as part of the formula and this made the pigments somewhat "dirty" in the sense that it was difficult to have a very "pure" and translucent bright red. Water-based paints now do without the lead content thus allowing for far "cleaner" pigment effect and translucidity (Is this a word?). Ferrari was the first to come out with a super dramatic effect with this about ten years back when they introduced "Scuderia Red" which was a copy of their F1 color. They did it by mixing unleaded bright red with about 15% of translucent yellow tint and spraying three coats of it over white. The incredible effect this color accomplishes is because you never "see" the yellow, this yellow tint acts like yellow tinted glasses or goggles which amplify the ambience light that reflects on the white base. This makes a particularly bright red in low-light conditions unlike every other red with tends to die if not under direct sunlight. Mazda copied the formula about four years ago for their 3 car and recently VW had done it too in some smaller models. It is breathtaking with only two coats, but even if it looks better with two coats of red, it is very difficult to spray evenly(and almost impossible to re-create in the event of an accident) unless you use three coats, which is what I would recommend.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)