View Single Post

Where're the spot welds hiding?

At some point I'll get the story that got me to this sad state posted, but at the moment I've got a puzzle that I haven't been able to solve with searches. The question of the hour- how do I locate the spot welds where the front of the rear quarter panel/rear fender attaches to the bottom of the B-pillar/lock post? (location in the red bubble below)

I've learned enough from reading to know I've got to fire up the air saw and cut off the bottom of the fender in front of the rear wheel to get at the kidney bowl area (which is is largely missing), repair the panel below the kidney bowl (which is at least partly missing) and then replace the lock post (at least to just above where the striker plate mounts). (the dark spot at the center of the blue bubble is a hole)

I've seen from other posts where the welds have been drilled out, but it looks pretty smooth on my car. The other places I've drilled out the spot welds have been relatively easy to locate (though I always seem to miss one). The piece I have to take off to get at the kidney bowl I suppose I could cut of off and search from the back side, but I'm going to have to go further up for the lock post repair shortly, and it's unclear how to get the fender to let go of the lock post panel.

As I read in someone's earlier post- "it takes longer to decide to make the first cut than it does to make the repair", but I'd sure like to know how I'm going to put it back together (or finish taking it apart) before I put the saw to it. Any clues or re-direction would be appreciated

Thanks,
Tim
'06 Mini Cooper S

Restoring Jewel's 911e
Old 08-25-2012, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)