View Single Post
Tired Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC911e View Post
Thanks for the note Glenn. I had my head stuck under there and wasn't sure I could see enough, or get a straight enough shot at it if I could see it, to drill them out from the back side.

I have been going back and forth between your "rust repair" thread and a couple of others. So did you end up separating the "keeper" part of the fender from the dead part of the lock post?

I did notice when I went back and looked that you didn't go all the way out to the edge when you cut up above the striker mount (which I'll have to get out as well), but I didn't see how it went back together. I was hoping I could avoid yet another butt weld fit/match exercise, but that might be easier. Maybe.

Thanks,
Tim
yea, it is a tight fit to get at the spot welds. but you might try to drill through from the back with a 1/16" bit then take the spot weld bit to the front side where the resulting holes are.

Removing the striker mount was a decision made after I had cut the panel. If I had known they needed to come out in the first place I might have cut the panel higher.

When I did remove them, I didn't go to the edge in the hope that the remaining part of the fender would hold its shape better. Made welding the new piece in a challenge. I don't think I would do it that way again.
Wife's - '11 Mini Cooper
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 08-25-2012, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)