View Single Post
Certified User

Garage
Fenders & doors painting/mounting sequence?

I am preparing a pair of 930 front fenders for my Carrera, which is about to get a colour change as well.
I started to take them back to bare metal inside and out but soon realised that there wasn't much to be gained by removing all the under-body rubbery protection - what is that stuff called?
Anyhow, I have wire buffed this "stuff" from around all the mounting holes and cleaned up the mounting flanges, but it obviously needs to be sprayed on again to seal and protect the whole area once the fender is remounted.
What I am struggling with is the sequence of reassembly and painting primer, top coat and "stuff". My initial plan was to final paint the fenders off the car, but I am beginning to think that it might be better to mount the fenders after primer and then do the top coats.
I also need to recoat the fender lips with "stuff" before painting, so I have to work that in at some point as well.

What is the best sequence for this?

As for doors, I had also planned to strip and repaint the doors off the car, but I have seen threads where it has been done on the car.
What are the pros and cons for doing the doors on the car or off the car?
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)