View Single Post
Used User

I've had 962 come down on me before. He can be as opinionated as anyone can be on the Net. Just because one guy says it's so doesn't make it so.

Regarding post #7 it sounds like he's talking about sealer in one part and sanding primer in the other part. When he says primer doesn't add more adhesion, he's technically correct. It doesn't make it any worse either. So as a sentence, it's correct. As a thought, it's incomplete.

You would not want to paint a car that was well prepped over part primer and part prepped original finish w/o a coat of sealer over the panel to be sprayed. If blending the base coat out into the middle of a panel, you might want to use a clear sealer over the whole or most of the panel first. Base coat comes next if using a 2 stage system. Then clear coat the whole panel well past the blend line if there are no stopping points (like a rear quarter finish on a 911).

One product to consider is DuPont™ 222S™ Mid-Coat Adhesion Promoter. This works really good in hard to prep areas such as door jambs. So there you have it. There is something that helps adhesion. But it's not really a primer or sealer. Each has its own usage.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)