View Single Post
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
im not well versed yet in the porsche arena but - the 924 body wise is more narrow as you said. the 944 has the widebody look.
if you look at wikipedia for 944 it shows the various powerplant changes over the years. progressively up until the 968 change they got more powerful. the 944 s and s2 are more powerful as well (DOHC vs SOHC), but more expensive obviously. 85.5 was a turning point for interiors as well as other things. wikipedia is a great source for the basic info. basically the later the 944 the more hp/tq.
they are all belt driven, and the S/S2 are 16v DOHC with a cam chain.

in the end for me, availability had a great impact on what i got. i wanted a post-85.5 for the interior mostly, but settled on a clean 84 because it was as close to what i wanted as i could find, and i searched for several months within a few hundred miles. the key is patience... wait until the right one pops up. first thing i find out is when the T belt was done last. if they dont know then it probably wasnt well maintained, because thats a very important part of the car. replace every 30k or 5 years. if they have no idea, they probably dont know enough to have maintained it well or done it.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)