View Single Post

Garage
I own both cars, a 924S, and a 944 (87 so it has the latter interior). The 924 chassis is a bit lighter but the over all shape is more rounded. The 944 has in my opinion better lines and is a bit wider but generally they are the same chassis. If you are looking to swap the engine I assume you will be keeping the transmission in which case you may want to get a 944 turbo trans as it was a bit more solid and has an LSD. It would be more suited to handle the power of say a V8. As far as the engine compartments, they look very similar and you could most likely fit similar engines in them.

On any note I will say this on engine swaps. There have been many threads here about engine swaps. Mainly LS1's into both 944's and 911's. They all follow a similar trend, a car is bought, and engine is found, a ton of custom parts are paid for, and then many snags are hit. In the end the projects either get abandoned and sold or finished but dont work right etc. I really dont mean to say any thing bad about them but a great deal of research, reading threads here is worth it. The other thing to consider is that the transmissions in these cars were not made to handle the output of say an LS1.

As for something like putting a 951 engine is a 944NA you may as well just buy a non running 951 and get it going. I would not consider a 951 engine in a 944 a swap mainly because of how similar the chassis are and generally the same every thing will be.

A stock 944 can be a great car to drive and own and is worth keeping stock. For the price of an engine swap 944 you can get a running 911 SC coupe which is a great car as well, if you are looking for a Porsche.

Regards
Dave
Old 10-21-2012, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)