View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
This is definitely an electrical issue. Remember the gages all went wacky after the engine died and I attempted a re-start. When the engine died it did so abruptly, as if turning off the key. When attempting to re-start the gages pointers all flew everywhere back and forth.

Quote:
Have you checked system voltage when all of this is going on? When my alternator died my car would run great when the battery was fully charged (via trickle charger) but after driving a few minutes it would get progressively worse - missing and backfiring - until it would finally die.
This may be a clue that I did not pay enough attention to.
I noted when using the LM1 to measure AFR's that the voltage registered on the meter was 10.5V and not 12-12.5V as it should have been. I dismissed this as old wiring to a corroded cigarette lighter. I checked the battery at that time and it was 12V so assumed the alternator was working properly.

So how/where do I test voltage regulation?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #448 (permalink)