View Single Post

Garage
Got the ride of shame last night, crazy fueling problem

Got the ride of shame on the way to a car show last night.

Clicked off about 30 miles of freeway driving, so far so good. Hit a traffic jam and car started to get warm. The needle got to 9 o clock or half way between the two white hash marks. Hot but nothing out of this world. All of a sudden car lost power, afr's went to 19.5. I pulled over, changed the fuel pump relays and put in a new fuse. Fired up, same 19.5 afr's, I limped to the next exit. I found a walmart and after doing a quick under hood and bonnet check (about 5 min). I fired her up and it was back to normal?

Got towed back home just in case.

Today cranked up the car and warmed it up. Right on cue at the same temp the gremlin was back. I pulled the FP relays (one at a time) and idle stayed right at 19.5 regardless of which one was on. I pulled the rear round relay next to the yellow relay and the same. ( the car did react to pulling each relay but did not shut off).

I did notice when I pull the rear fp relay, and put it right back in, it clicks and my idle richens up for a few seconds and then goes back to lean. Same goes for the round one next to the yellow relay in the back??

My CDI box was very hot but the car was idling with the hood closed so it was pretty warm in there.

I changed that black round relay in the back to a new red fuel pump one I had about a month ago. Nothing else after that. I changed it because it seemed old and original. I have driven about 150 miles since then and had no issues.

Any difference between the red and black round relays??

I shut off the car with the gremlin active and pulled the green plug out. I opened the ignition, the frequency valve was buzzing and pumps sounded normal.

Prior to the initial firing up today, I did the normal check of pins and corrosion. I took my seat out, sanded and cleaned all the pins down there and coated them with some dielectric grease. Same goes for FP relays, they are a few months old anyway.

My rear fuel pump is also few months old. I had the same symptoms but the lean idle was constant.

My problem seems specifially tied to hot engine temps.

I spent a few hours reading past posts but I am stumped!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)