View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil only View Post
Nice. .... I can't believe in that first picture your dad had the car out in the snow, I could never do that.
Thanks! There are schools of thought on the issue, which I straddle. To his defense, he and his then gf/ now wife were traveling up north to New Hampshire and bad weather wasn't predicted. Well, you know how accurate those predictions are...

That said, and to his credit, cars are put into perspective in our family. When I was growing up he didn't idolize the cars to the point they couldn't be driven in this or that condition. In fact, a defining moment about putting things in perspective about the car being just that, a car, I'd ridden my bike to a baseball game, and didn't expect dad to be there to pick me up. He had the same year convertible Porsche. When he said, let's go, I looked at him, then to my muddy cleats and the bike. Dad turned to me and said "so?" Cleats came off and were cleaned as best we could and put in the boot, bike and its muddy wheels were jerry-rigged to fit in the back seat area with tires sticking out all over the place.

Why type all of these words? As I see it, the significance of the cars we drive is the joy they bring. For me, to spend quality time with my dad and, now, my son, trumps the Italian grandmother approach (plastic covers on all the 'nice' furniture - I'm Italian so I can say this...ha!). The awesome feelings I did get and will get about the car trumps any time I might have to indulge my OCD by spending time washing, cleaning and ogling the car in my driveway (and, admit it, that's some of the best time spent on a weekend!)

That was a long way of saying, everyone enjoys their car(s) in a different, unique and equally "correct" way.

Now me, with our fancy-dancy weather technology, I won't be taking it out in the snow - that thing is NOT meant for that...

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 01-20-2013 at 06:32 PM..
Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)