View Single Post
Brando

Garage
So tonight I finally got to do some things. I really have most everything to finish up and now just need time. Well the rockers look nice. Cgarr did nice work on them.
I reinstalled new rsr o rings on the shafts and so far they're going in much easier than the last time, none are shearing off. I must have had a bad batch or something last time. The shafts are tightening much easier than last time as well. What could be different I just don't know?
I reinstalled the new crank pully seal (again) and this time really wasn't much different. I got it in with less of the squeezing out at the top like the picture but still some. Not as bad. I think I have an anamoly there because I'm not stupid even though my kids think the're smarter than me.
I resaeled the scavange pump with new seal and o-ring inside. I used a new gasket on the cam tower and used curel-T on the paper this time instead or 574. My leak there was the inside o-ring though so with that and some gasket maker smeared on it I think I'm dry there too.
On to the nose bearing.....I ordered another collar from Tom Ammon, I still think there is something to it. This time, I'm going to clean it really good with brake cleaner or something under a little pressure into the crack where the nose bearing and case seperate and then make a bead of oil resistant rtv gasket maker and put the new collar on again. This time I'll finish it off nice and clean. If it leaks again, I'll just try something else. I won't split this case for a few years.
I'll seal this leak though. I'll show you Johnny Boy, You think I don't know what I'm up against?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
Is that photo of the seal behind the fan belt pulley?
If this is so:

The good news: IT IS REPAIRABLE!

THE BAD NEWS: Gotta split the case and replace the no. 8 main bearing.

You will have no joy unless you do it correctly, replace the no. 8 main bearing and associated O-ring and seals.

Otherwise you are in for an eternity of leaks from that seal, and it wont get better.

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but "facts is facts".

John
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)