View Single Post

One thing to note, is that the welded joint done properly is actually a factory modification to make the chassis stiffer. Frere refers to it being done, partly for aerodymics and partly for stiffening, which makes sense that a weld would be more rigid than a crimp.

In terms of lead on the original crimp, I did not find any, all I found was way too much sealant and it needed to be burned out. I was actually concerned about the bad fumes, so I kept a very sharp eye out for any lead runs or pooling and saw none. Not sure if that is peculiar to the later chassis (mine is an '89), but it appeared to have no lead in that segment of the body. Quite different from other locations such as the rear centre panel or the door edge on my previous car ('75) where when I put on the Carrera fenders, there were droplets of lead splashing on the floor during the welding process.

Personally, this is something that Porsche should have done from the factory, it is an excellent upgrade and the car looks far better, even though it is a PITA. Note also I welded in my sunroof and did the rails as part of the same effort, both were a pain but now complete and I believe they will be very durable.

Dennis
Old 02-09-2013, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)