View Single Post
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirevtuner View Post
I get it's a lot of work to do it right. Sorry for venting. I just worked on a great long term customers car he just bought , 1971 corvette when the last owner overtightened the carb and thought JB weld would fix it. Overtightened intake one bolt stripped one overtightened and cracked the casting JB weld fix. Main seal leak Toyota sealent fix, and the list gos on. Just wish people would start fixing things right the first time. I'm old school and loose money before I do it wrong. Good luck with the magic in a bottle fix. Sometimes it works sometimes not. As I look at the case pictures seems like a bit of abuse. Just my thoughts and I don't know everything for sure. Sorry for the rough comment good luck hope it seals.
BTW, I didn't use a magic in a bottle fix to repair a seal. I replaced the pulley seal three times with new ones each time. The issue I used the Toyota gasket maker on was not the seal, it was the imposable without replitting the case number 8 nose bearing O-ring. If I could replace it without splitting the case, I would.
In fact I went back to splitting the case when I had the engine part way built up when I awakened to the nightmare that there was no O-ring on that bearing (I forgot to place it on the bearing) so I split it and had to remove all the 574 residue before resealing the case once again. But didn't use enough of something on the bearing itself, I thought the O-ring would be enough.
My engine was done per Wayne's book. I did not skimp on anything other than not re-bushing the rockers and now I have remedied that as I just had them rebushed and reinstalled them. No cut corners, no hacks no screwjobs.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)