View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Ken,
No and yes.
We found after a few heat cycles the pipes settle out and swell shut. Yours must have a fitting just loose enough to allow a bit of exhaust to escape when under boost. So yes they can be welded up. We are looking at doing that as the next generational step. We use 321 so it won't crack easy like 304 when under stress. Key is to have a perfect fixture so the pipes mount to the engine in a relaxed state. Every 930 is a little different so this can be tricky. The slip joints must remain in the secondaries as turbo positioning is all over the place in these cars, especially when fitting K27 or other types.
The later boxes will fit your headers however there was batch-to-batch variation which is why we are filling backorders by the batch; to get the best fit.
If you want optimal heat the collectors will be welded up as well as the boxes. With law suit happy America I'm not too sure I want to seal the boxes.
I had a carbon monoxide scare of my own years ago and respect what you all are saying about the silent killer. The testers are junk and I don't trust them. You do get a warning and should heed it. That warning simply is being tired when you know you should not. If that happens in your car or home get into fresh air immediately.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)