View Single Post

Back around 1980 there was a company that made very nice airdamns for alot of different cars out of lightweight hand laid up fiberglass cloth with an approximately 5" wide rubber lip you could fasten to the bottom edge like yours. The exterior finish was black gel coat you could paint or leave as is.

You could get them from JC Whitney for around $80 and some other places had them too. I think the name of the company that made them started with the letter P. If it comes to me I'll edit it in later.

Anyway, I put one on a BMW 2002 I had back then and liked it alot. It went right down to about 3" from the road surface and eventually got scuffed up in the bottom middle area from inevitable road contacts and then I eventually removed the black rubber lip because it got to looking pretty ratty and faded after a few years of daily driving.

There was a difference in how it was mounted compared to yours though. It was mounted behind the bottom edge of the fiberglass airdamn with black plastic button head screws and nuts that blended in cosmetically and wouldn't rust and then there was a semi stiff but flexable strip of clear plastic that you attached or sandwiched to the back of the more flexable rubber strip. It would keep the rubber strip from bending back from wind resistance air pressure when you were going fast so less air would go under the car and would flow around the sides of the car and through the radiator instead.

I havn't seen one of those airdamns in a very long time and the company probably went out of business long ago but I was curious if I could find one with a google search and I did!
Someone has a used one for a Datsun 280Z for sale on ebay.

I saved a couple of the pictures of it so you could see how it was made. The plastic button head screws don't last forever and like most people did they were eventually replaced with stainless steel screws, washers, and nuts.

Here's the ebay pics and ebay link fwiw, and if it's wrong for me to post them I'll delete them.

Datsun 280z Front Air Dam and Lower Front Corners | eBay
Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)