View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oheggem View Post
I have decided to try and use steel wire to hold the wheights in place then put a screw in and file off most of the head like in this thread
MSD Success

then assemble it and hope for the best...

Do i have to do both wiring the wheights and the screw? Not sure what it is i`m doing
No you dont need to put in the screw as long as you reassemble the vacuum pot linkage to the distributor and cap off the nipples so the diaphragm inside does not move. You have effectively disabled the vacuum retard and boost retard feature this way.
The wire disables the centrifical advance mechanism only.
Make sure you lubricate everything in there and check for both snap rings #811 are present when you reinstall the star shaped ring. I think it might have been pressed down past the point that the snap ring would have stopped it and it crushed the plastic coil element #807.

You might also want to check with MSD on this but I am 99% sure you cannot use the rev limiting rotor anymore cause the MSD coil will burn out the rev limiting rotor. Swap it with a non limiting rotor and you should be ok. Thats what I was told when I called them.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"

Last edited by fredmeister; 03-15-2013 at 08:26 AM..
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)