Thread: Bye bye S2
View Single Post
rob83944 rob83944 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 122
I might have the answer. A similar problem with my 83. It stems from the positive cable from the battery to the starter. The cable comes down the firewall and snakes it way over the starter. The cable lays on the starter before connecting to the starter. If the cable is not protected or the battery cable is exposed it shorts out and start to melt the wiring harness. Once this starts, it fires up into a flame. If your not fast with a Fire Extinquisher and water, the whole thing goes up. I know from experience.

You need to check this cable to insure it is OK. The only way to observe the cable is to remove the starter and look.

This procedure should be checked on a regular basis at least one a year, othewise you have the chance of a real hot car.

BTW, I got the fire out, replaced the starter, replaced the wiring harness (battery to starter and starter to alternator).

Now I in the process of cleaning up the car for the summer.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)