View Single Post

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Hey Mark,

Slightly off topic, but your windshield install procedure is missing a few steps / details. I put in many a windshield into the race car I crewed on.
Step #1, put the new seal on the new windshield, slide in the trim. Putting the trim in is as fun as you think it is going to be, wink, wink, nod, nod.
Step#2, lube the cars window frame area, spray on/foaming glass cleaner works great.
step#3, lube the rubber seal, spray on/foaming glass cleaner works great.
Step#4, put a thin very strong cord around the inside lips of the rubber windshield seal. With the loose ends meeting & over lapping at the bottom of the window in the center.
Step#5, place the bottom section of the seal & window onto the cars frame, get as much of the seal into the final location as possible alone the bottom.
Step#6, with a help of an assistant firmly pushing on the windshield from the outside. Start slowly pulling the cord ends around the glass & seal. You should end with the cord popping out at or around the rear view mirror location. Sometimes you end up pulling only 1 cord end at a time, slowly working the seal into it's new home, be patient.
Step #6, yes some swearing and shouting will be required, and usually it takes at least 2 attempts to get it right. The corners are the biggest P.I.T.A.

Mark
I'm sure everyone will appreciate the detail. Yes, that's exactly how to do it. But to get the original aluminum trim piece out without destroying it, my understanding is that you basically have to cut it out....cut the rubber seal at an angle to free up the trim....remove it...then proceed as you've detailed. I haven't done it yet, but will be soon. Have the windshield and new seal just barking at me to get with the program.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)