View Single Post

Believe In Murphy's Law!

Allow me to give you an example of why "simple" is better. I had a 65 911 with the center fed camshafts, such as the arrangement of which you are questioning.

I developed an oil leak from the chain boxes that was easy to fix, so I attempted it (with very limited Porsche wrench time experience at that time). In removing the covers, I noted the carbon faced rotating seal that Porsche used to seal the oil delivery system against the end of the rotating camshaft. These seals appeared to be press fitted to the cover plate. Lack of any tribal knowledge allowed Murphy's Law to take charge (you rememeber Murphy's Law that states that "if anything can go wrong.....it usually does"). As it turned out, that carbon seal was a loose fit in the cam box cover! As I placed the cover plate in place, my oversight lead to me not paying attention to the fact that the carbon seal dropped out of the cover and into the chain box.

On start up, the car ran for about five minutes before the loss of oil supply to the cams made itself known with destruction of cam lobes . Cost me a fortune to have the camshaft pulled and replaced!

If I were you, I would take Steve's sage advice and delete this upgrade!
Old 03-24-2013, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)