Thread: RUF CTR Tail
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986 930 View Post
I was looking at pics of the Yellow Bird
That car, BTW, is not Yellowbird - which was the name given (by the journos) to the CTR prototype at the magazine shootout where it drubbed everything in sight - including the 959...

Note the later-style slotted rear bumpers and the lack of NACAR ducts (only on the original)? Seem to recall Yellowbird didn't have rain gutters either.

Quote:
and noticed that it has a Turbo Tail with the Carrera Rubber. Or, at least it looks like it does. Is that how they did it?
Probably. I posted pictures of a 3.2 lip on top of a turbo lip; most of the bolt holes line up. 3.2 has a couple extra/some bolts in different places.

Quote:
I am not a fan of the Turbo Tail on a narrow body. It just looks kind of big without the Turbo Rear Flare but this combo is pretty sweet.
Firstly, the 3.2 lip and the turbo lip are EXACTLY the same width. Everyone seems to think the turbo lip is wider - but it really isn't. Easy to see when one is plopped on top of the other. (I've toyed with fitting a 3.2 lip to my turbo base - but I don't think I'll bother.)

Also, strictly speaking, neither SC nor 3.2s are "narrow body" (which would be a '77 or earlier non-flared car). SC/3.2s use SC/3.2 flares. Also used on the early Carreras, after the factory ran out of RS flares after the first 230, 240 cars.

The CTR, BTW, doesn't use SC/3.2 flares. Or rockers. Because if it did, you couldn't squeeze 10J Rufs under the rear (trust me, I've tried - they don't come close to clearing even without tires). CTR flares are an inch wider than SC flares.

Oh, and the aero drag on the 930 body makes it slower. So neener, neener, neener

Last edited by spuggy; 03-24-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Old 03-24-2013, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)