View Single Post

Initial Startup - High Idle Question

So, I received my Bosch Fuel Injection book by Charles Probst. I've also started re-reading the car won't start sticky to see if I can better understand some of the more technical threads. I have a ton of questions but here are a few if someone wouldn't mind answering for me.

1. Is the 'control pressure regulator discussed in the Continuous Injection - Theory chapter what is referred to as a Warm Up Regulator on our cars?

2. On initial cold start my car idles high and then within 20-30 seconds the idle speed reduces significantly. I think this is normal as it appears the car is receiving increased fuel (or air?) to help with the starting process. Eventually the idle is 'normal'. Does the WUR have anything to do with this process? Seems to me if its the WUR then this process would be more gradual as the engine warms. I read about the electric winding to help with this process but I suspect this does not exist on a '79. My questions are whether this is normal and whether someone could explain why this happens. What parts are involved?

3. The book talks about dieseling defined as the car not immediately stopping when the ignition is shut off. My car will typically do a couple of 'coughs' after I kill the ignition if the car is warmed up (does not happen when cold). The book mentions ignition system issues as a possible culprit. Would this relate to my distributor cap going bad? I have issues with the car once it has been washed and suspect the Distributor cap and now I wonder if this might fix the coughs after shutdown.

Thanks!
Brian
Old 04-04-2013, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)