Thread: 1st time
View Single Post

930 prep

My 930 has several issues and I plan to remove the engine for service later this year. My thought was to pull the engine from my 1975 911S in preparation.
It has been many years since I have removed the motor from a rear engine car, probably about 35 years, but I can recall being able to remove a 1600 cc from a bug in less time than the play of 25 minute LP record.
Those days are gone, fast forward to 2013 and I have a budding collection of Porsche cars.
I have been following our hosts "101 projects for your 911" on engine removal and most of it makes sense with the exception of a few items.
1. Why does the clutch cable need to be removed. From what I can see, and know of, the clutch throw out assembly is within the bell housing portion of the transaxle and is only connected to the engine assembly through the throw out bearing. So why the disconnect?
2. Why does "reverse backup switch and speed cable" require removal from the transmission? I am leaving the transmission in the car.
3. "Shift coupler", does the angle of the transmission change when we begin to lower the engine?

Everything else looks straightforward, and I have considered removing the engine/tranny assembly but the tranny is fine and requires no service at this time.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)