View Single Post
In maintenance phase

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyo View Post
Dan, did you ever sort this out? I'm in the same situation.
I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, but here's how I worked it out:

The inertia reel mounting hole and locating hole were there and went in pretty easy. The pillar does not have a hole. This was a major bummer.

What I did was drill a hole in the body directly above the inertia reel and as close to the window trim piece as I could get it. I got two massive stainless steel fender washers and put one on the inside and one on the outside. I used a heavy duty lock washer and used red loctite on the nut, which ends up being in the rear wheel well near the door jamb. (I used the same bolt that would have gone into the pillar)

It's not perfect, but it works. It puts the shoulder belt rotating piece a bit below shoulder level, but it does play out the belt smoothly and retracts just fine. It also locks properly under braking, which I'm pretty sure is due to the inertia reel being properly angled. All other mounting locations were already in the car and worked normally. Obviously, I'm willing to risk my life on it. (The ss fender washers I used are 4" in diameter... I don't see those pulling through the body.)

Final note: I found the intended location for the 3pt belts in my car. It's actually on the rear deck. The parts manual shows the manual 3pt belts mounting back there and they have the strange, unique to seatbelts, threads in the holes. A later model retractable belt has no hope of reaching back there. Just more proof that my car is an odd, very early '69, car. I have a few of those quirks.

Best of luck! I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I'm on an Aircraft Carrier at sea right now... We're pretty busy.

-Dan
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)