View Single Post

Garage
Fuses in place of FP relay is this OK?

I was going over everything on my 86 for the first time this weekend as I have only had the car for about a week. I noticed a wire running from the fuse box to the negative terminal on the battery. The wire was simply stripped and stuck between the post and clamp on the battery so I removed the fuse cover to trace it back and what I found surprised me and I am not sure if it is a good thing or not. The relays for the fuel pumps were removed and replaced with 30 amp blade fuses. I am not really an expert in auto electrical but I did not think replacing a relay with a fuse is acceptable am I right? Do I need to get the relay fittings and replace this mess? Will this cause a problem in the future? I do not understand why someone would go to all of this trouble to do this I know the relays are sometimes unreliable but I usually just keep spares in the glove box. I have included a pic so you can get an idea of what was done. The brown wire taped to the green wire is the one that was connceted to the battery. Also if you notice the wire connectors in the rear of the fuse panel. This would lead me to believe this was not done by a qualified person.
Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)