View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
The ignition delay relay is the one that keeps the CD on for a few seconds to burn off residual fuel after you turn off the car with the key. It's the small aluminum relay next to the larger aluminum rear window defroster relay that are both held in place by a screw or small bolt on the rear panel.

I don't know if your year car came with a yellow relay. If everything works good without it consider yourself lucky and leave it that way. Red relays are more reliable and a fraction of the cost of a yellow relay.

It's always good to carry some spare red ones in the glovebox or trunk to replace the 2 front red ones for the fuel pumps when they go bad and they work fine to replace any of the black ones too.
Thanks for the info.
Yeah, I keep a few spares in the door pockets....had one or 2 go out on the road on me....not fun miles from home.
One thing I have been having trouble with is the red relay in the trunk fuse panel working its way lose. It will get lose enuff over time to kill the car and then it either wont start or died at a light on me once. I tried bending the prongs out slightly to increase the press fit but it still is something I dont think should happen and I have to check on them once every few hundred miles to make sure they are tight.
Its one of those PITA things I put up with on this beast.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)