View Single Post

Garage
I'd have to disagree, your local hardware store or any plain joe key duplicator cannot accurately replicate the Porsche key. The problem stems from the fact that it is a double cut key, and hard for the typical key cutting machine to a: properly center itself in the master side holder, as it does not have a flat side back to rest against as a typical key, and b: the new blank does not have a way of properly centering itself in the copy side once you flip over the key after cutting one side, for the same reasons as a: . The teeth spacing between both sides will vary significantly from the original master. Myself, as a couple of my other Porsche friends who I warned about ths, learned this the hard way, and ended up costing us some expensive Porsche key blanks. These keys need to be cut at a true professional master locksmith's shop in order to get it done right and correctly the first time. Ask your Porsche dealer who they send their keys to get duplicated at. The guy who I use actually has a special machine to do this duplication, and charges extra because Porsche keys are steel which require a special diamond bit, as opposed to the typical key which is made of brass and can be ground with a cheaper bit. That is also the difference between an original Porsche key blanks, and the aftermarket Ilco ones, so I you can't really be faulted for being a Porsche snob here. You can also order an original Porsche key blank for your car based on your VIN, but you'll have to wait a few weeks, and be out around $40, and it only fits into the $25 lighted key holder head.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)