View Single Post
Registerd 930 user nut

Garage
Quote:
JFairman wrote: Mark and I have a similar timing setup with the distributor slot machined over so we can advance the distributor static timing farther to 12 -15 degrees btdc which is farther than the slot allowed originally. I had to also remove a little aluminum from part of the housing near the fan housing area to turn the distributor that far because it was hitting something limiting the travel back there.
We both use the MSD 8762 boost timing retard box to retard timing along with the original boost retard working.
This way timing is around 12 to 15 degrees btdc at idle and with centrifugal advance and vacuum advance working timing increases to around 35* btdc by 4000rpms.
Then when boost comes on both the inner vacuum pot and the MSD 8762 pull the timing back to around 26 to 28* btdc.
MSD 8762 controls the boost and you have modified the distributor ignition curve or did you just modify the slot only?

I have been looking at the MSD 6AL-2 programmable that will control the boost and the ignition curve with a locked distributor which I'm sure your familiar with.

So your running 35* BTDC @ 4000 RPM and this is only possible with WMI? If so what is the safe limit with out a WMI?

I ask all this as the wrench installed a new vacuum pot on the distributer and set timing to 26* BTDC @ 4000 RPM and the dizzy is turned almost to the end of the slot. It runs great but I think the port closest to the dist. body is adding a lot of retard because I checked the timing at idle just to see where it is and is around 2*BTDC with the retard hose plugged in. I'll check this all out tomorrow in detail and let you know where it's at. I am surprised that it's not near the middle of the slot as you mentioned a few posts back with a stock setup.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)