Thread: mounting an MSD
View Single Post

mounting an MSD

here is how i did mine. i had to move a few things. just make sure the wires on the small relay are not touching any of the metal on the relay panel. that can rub the insulation off and cause a fire. there is some plastic suff you can put on the edge of the metal to protect the wires, i jsut dont have any right now.

this took about 2.5 or 3 hrs. but i did screw around with the wiring harness trying to staighten it out and make it so i could get the panel out. i could not.
i laid tape sticky side up below where i drilled to catch the metal. a better way would be to have someone with a shop vac hold it close to the drilling.

i only used 3 mounting points for the MSD. the bottom right one was one for the bosch unit. you can remove the back and save it if you want to put a bosch back in.

i have not made a connector that plugs into the connector that went in the bosch unit. i am wanting to get an old bosch unit that cant be fixed and use that connector. that way, if the MSD goes bad, you could jsut plug in a spare permatune or bosch unit.
why an MSD if you have a spare bosch you ask? welll, i suspect an issue with mine but the main reason is to get rid of the speed realy. the only purpose for mine is a rev limiter and to run the FP's. i can jumper the FP and the MSD has a REALLY cool rev limiter. it has 2 switches to set the limit, plus, when you turn the key to "on", the tach jumps up to verify the limit setting.

here are some pics. the big relay is not screwed down. the hole is a little too low and the wiring harness is kinda in the way. its not going anywhere for now. i will re-mount it when i take the engine out and can get in there better. that hole was the hardest to drill out.

BTW, the MSD can not use solid core plug wires. how do i know if mine are solind core?
i have BERU wires and MAGNECORE wires.

08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 05-03-2013, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)