Thread: Road Trip
View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmonk View Post
Hey Jesper.
Yeah I'm totally hooked on the turbo.
The 77 is Guards Red and stock too.
The boys keep asking when we are going to see the "Big Brother" to the 77 which is what the road trip is all about.
It really is the big brother as in the origins of the 930/02 is very basically a NA 70's turbo block.

I've had my '77 for a while now and am never going to sell it.
From the reading I've done, it's down on HP to the 73RS but equal on torque.
It has a nice pick up at 4200RPM, yet super docile below 3000.
The cars are also light at around 1150kg stock but it sounds like you will lighten it.
etcetera
Bottom line is that this was Porsche's go at a bullet proof car and the precursor to the SC which was down on power to the 76/77 Carrera

Research Carrera 3.0 on the net for lots of info on dedicated sites.
One issue is the ignition in the sub 3000rpm range. Basically running around town.
It feels like it misses / runs rough
This is an inherent problem so don't be chasing this as particular to your car.
However, If you solve it you will make me and a bunch of other people very happy!!!
It's not a huge problem if you drive the car through the rev range upto 5000 however that can be difficult around town and expensive re speeding tickets.
Or you could test yourself and the car and see if you can outrun them. Lol
I've taken on a modern 5.0l V8 ute and he barely kept up and backed off b4 I did.
But I digress...
Regardless, You are going to have a blast mate
Maybe it is just because I don't remember, but I actually think my Carrera 3.0 was all round awesome to drive, also in the city. I bought it almost exactly 10 years ago, but haven't driven it for about 5.5 years, so my memory may just remember what it wants, and not how it actually was.

Let me know, if you get that far north before turning inland on your road trip.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 05-09-2013, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)