Kids. DVD Player
Pillows
Blankets
Food.
Water
Travel calm for passenger. Vomit and cars don't go together
Ear plugs for passenger

Tyres. Selection
Condition. On car & Spare. Spare has a speed limit on side wall.
Inflation. Pressure? Current & required for distance
Rubbing Due load. Load up the front to balance car

Equipment. Spare Tyre. Present and condition
Inflator. Present and condition
Cig Lighter. Operational
Tools

Oil. Take extra
Take funnel. If only large containers are available at the stop.
Take rags. A messy fill on a hot engine is not good

Fuel. Take extra

Spares. Fuses
Relays
CD (Capacitive Discharge)

References
rsrfan
Don't even think of driving to Vegas on Friday, nor back to the OC on Sunday. The traffic to and from Vegas Fridays and Sundays will have you parked on the freeway for hours.
The weather in early October in Vegas will be nice (80s to 90s high) and you should not have a problem.
There is a great aircooled shop (Series 900 Motorsports - formerly Carls Place) that can help out if you have any issues.

ficke
Expect to be shocked at your fuel consumption. If you get over 14 MPG consider your self lucky and do not be surprised if you are a round 12 or worse depending on how you drive.
Your car will only cool well moving with out a fan on the front cooler so yeah watch temps in traffic.

icemann427
For their sake, I hope your kids are young...Bring pillows, DVD player and a blanket to share for them?

Your car is going to be fairly loaded. As such, you may want to make sure you don't have tire rub while fully loaded prior to your travel day.
As far as engine/oil temp on such a drive, I made the summer desert trip between Tucson and San Diego many, many times with no problems. And my 930 could make the 440 mile trip without having to stop for gas...

Does the car have a fan on the oil cooler in the right front fender? If not, you may want to install one for your future peace of mind. With that added to my car, stop and go traffic during the summer months wasn't too big of a deal.

Miguel Antonett
BTW, check the spare tire condition... if it is the OEM, it's probably cooked after being there for 35+ years.

icemann427
Miguel is right on on this one...Make sure that spare works and make sure the electric pump and your cigarette lighter works, too, to power it. Tire changing tools?

66cal912
as mentioned traffic is horrible Friday nights east and terrible Sunday afternoons west on the 15 Freeway

mcguff73
I just made that trip in a supercharged mustang.
Left LA area on Friday morning and made it in about 3 hours 45 minutes@21 mpg.
Came home on Sunday afternoon and it took SIX hours@16 mpg.
One major accident in the middle of that wasteland will have you in first gear for miles.
As its already been said, avoid Friday evening heading East and Sunday afternoon heading West.
With a 930 you will need a co-pilot to watch the temp gauge while you watch all the Vegas traffic trying to cut you off.

icemann427
Because my rear tires don't last more than about 10K or so, I get the cheapest Kumho's or Hankooks available with Z ratings. Why pay the big bucks for the best tires when they don't last any longer? The fronts last forever, but I match the backs...

mattf
I've done a bunch of +1000 mile trips w/o incident.
Always took a couple of quarts of oil with me.
My car liked a quart every 1000 miles or so.
Filled w gas every 300 miles approx which also happened to be my bladder limit.
Great advice already given about spare and inflator.

zenmonk
Hey Matt. Great call on extra oil. Will do.
Also reminds me to include a funnel.
The neck on the fill point / dip stick is always just too short to pour straight into.
I manage to make an real mess without one.
Maybe I should try carrying less than 1 gal lots
(I was carrying oil with me before the engine rebuild in the C3)
ie small containers with longer necks

timc
done at least 20 500 mile trips, 15-20 1000 mile trips, two 2500 mile trips (SC>NewOrleans>BatonR>SC and SC>Ohio>SC), and one 3500 (SC>Maine>Vermont>SC) mile trip.
I just got in and drove it each time. Spare CD, quart of oil, a few relay's and just go. Just drive it, and when something breaks you just deal with it.
Only problem I've ever had in almost 100K miles of driving it was 2 miles from the house when the CD died.
Other than that car has been dead reliable.
These cars are hands down bullet proof.

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5

Last edited by zenmonk; 05-10-2013 at 02:50 PM..
Old 05-10-2013, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)