View Single Post

Garage
A sort of barn find

Been a reader for a few years now.
Have lived vicariously through the rebuilds and restorations featured here.
So perhaps it's only right that now I begin to give back...although it will be hard to live up to the likes of Speedo, Jury and Fishcop (let alone that mad genius who lives near a bridge) I'll give it my best shot.

This is what I have found:
- 1970 rolling targa chassis
- 1967 912 with a 2.7 and 915
- 1970 2.2 targa under a rather nasty flatnose bosy kit
- a spare 2.2 E engine

The cars were at the end of a parts lead I chased down; left over from an RS rep project.
They've been standing for 5 years - in a shed at a steel mill in a high and dry part of the country thank goodness. Probably stood for 5 years before that.

A mate and myself are going halves - he gets the targa, I get the swb and we split the rest, reuse or sell. He's most interested in the smooth top headlights from the 912 for the 66 S factory prototype he found in a garage last year! Theres a thread detailing that around somewhere.

The 912 is rhd and I was thinking of an R (not another one!). The aforementioned mentors and their diy efforts can take the blame. Some minor resto work on my SC (right before it was smashed) has given me the courage (and perhaps stupidity) to take on the project.

I have a wonderfully eccentric mechanic up the road who will help me with the mechanical stuff, i.e he'll drink beer while I spanner, but the rest I'm going to attempt to do myself. I have assembled a garage of pre73 shiny bits over the last year...not with a project in mind, but mainly because I couldn't afford a whole car. Those will come in handy.

Here are some pics. T-minus 3 years. Start the clock!

The roller targa

The 912 swb with burzel

The 70s beauty buried under an 80s beast

The spare motor. 2.2 E with correct mfi

I'll upload some more pics in another post.
Cheers,
Matthew
Old 05-16-2013, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)