View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Well I think I may have found the issue.......yahoo!

Upon looking for fuel related causes again, I started to pull relays and fuses while the car was running. Noticed that pulling the rear relay made next to no difference idling!
1) So will the car run at idle with just the front pump?, apparently so at least for a short time.

2) Then I pulled the #6 fuse and scraped the terminal and cleaned the hell out of the fuse with sandpaper and the car started to come to life. I also pulled the brass screws out from the terminal strips and cleaned them with sandpaper and reinstalled trying to clean the connections.
When I rewired the fuel pumps last week I cut the jumper from the rear pump relay to the front pump relay and ran a separate fused lead to the front relay only. I left the rear relay alone and it still gets power from the #6 OEM fuse. Did not bother to clean the terminal strips or fuse holders since I was assuming the front pump was bad.
Turns out the rear pump was the culprit with a bad connection. It was running but apparently not enough.
Funny thing is fuel pressures were fine and stable when I tested the system with the gages and the car not running, so apparently it made pressure but not enough flow to actually run the car.

Anyway, it ran well around the parking lot and up and down the street for a mile last night before I put it away so I may be good now.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 05-20-2013, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)