View Single Post

Garage
This weekend was revealing. With heads off, we now know that this top end was very tired. 5 out of 6 cylinders had broken rings, with #2 (the suspect cylinder) having a shattered ring in a dozen or so pieces and also a very wet exhaust valve. All pistons and heads have a pretty good build up of soot/oil and piston skirts have evidence of blow-by. A quick inspection didn't reveal any tell-tale cylinder damage but we have not yet inspected the pistons and ring seats to see what kind of shape they are in. So, for now, I am definitely in for lots of head work, new head studs, and some cylinder work and rings (at least).

A couple of questions come to mind. I have no idea what condition the cams are in and some guys talk about the merits of SC vs. 964 vs. Stock - can somebody enlighten me to the differences keeping in mind that I intend to keep this as a stock car? What exactly are the new tensioners (current are hydraulic is there something newer)? What is the latest consensus on ARP vs. Supertec head studs?

More to come, but some iPhone pics for now:

Bank 1,2,3 with heavy build up on pistons:

Head 1,2,3 with heavy build up and especially dirty on #2:

Broken ring on #2:

Wet exhaust port on #2:
Old 05-20-2013, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)