View Single Post
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Another thing I guess would make sense is as the exhaust gases exit the turbo, it starts to cool. Cooler air contracts allowing for a smaller diameter exhaust/muffler ID than the turbo outlet in terms of maintaining total airflow I guess to an extent.

If I'm off based, let me know.
Don't know about that....or anything else for that matter, but I do know that turbo cars are not the same as NA cars with respect to velocity and back pressure value in a four stroke engine. NA cars need some back pressure to keep the intake charge inside the combustion chamber rather than escaping into the headers and turbos have back pressure built in with the turbo and so turbos try and remove back pressure with free flowing mufflers and such. Even then, turbos would not work well with 2+inch primaries but I don't know much about the dynamics of header design.
And diesel vs gas are lots different as well. It's a mistake to compare gas and diesel turbo tech as it would just mix you up as to what you want.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)