View Single Post

Funny how almost all the new cars these days are going with 0w/? oil. Part of it is driven by increased federal pressure to increase mpg (less viscous oil) but in order to run those thin oils I would guess that the engines have been engineered with bearing tolerances and such commensurate with the required oils. My FJ Cruiser takes 0w/20 synthetic but being water cooled, it doesn't get above 185 degrees.

ZDDP...my understanding is that it provides some sort of molecular coating on wear surfaces to reduce the friction. Especially important for cam lobes and rocker surfaces in our cars. The only reason not to use it would be if you're running with a catalytic converter. I guess the zinc in ZDDP will toast the platinum in your converter.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 05-26-2013 at 07:31 AM..
Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)