View Single Post
Banned

It would definitely be interesting to look into the article writer's credentials.

How an oil performs in labaratory testing situations is likely quite different to how it performs in the real world. The writer states that such and such oil is too thick at a given temp, but I wonder "says who"? I wonder how the "too thick" standard was determined (example - did the writer compare engine wear found in thick 'v' thin weight oil startup in multiple engines?) . . .

Regarless, this is definitely an interesting subject.

Regarding ZDDP: I endurance raced a 2001 Ducati 748R for many years - using Mobil 1 synthetic, the rocker arms shed their chrome coating very quickly (resulting in cam damage) and when a switch was made to Motul 300V the problem stopped. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I know that the Motul has much more ZDDP than Mobil 1. No way did the chrome coating improve during that time, as I would use rocker arms ordered from the same batch and Ducati flat out did not give a shat about the problem (they just started pricing replacement rocker arms very cheaply).

Also, the oil was very heavy (15w50) and no wear associated with the thick oil was ever noted on any of the engine components (often raced in fairly cool weather in February and March - though nothing to compare to Canada).

Granted, this is one engine and one person's experience.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 05-26-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Old 05-26-2013, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)