View Single Post
Canucks Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Funny how almost all the new cars these days are going with 0w/? oil. Part of it is driven by increased federal pressure to increase mpg (less viscous oil) but in order to run those thin oils I would guess that the engines have been engineered with bearing tolerances and such commensurate with the required oils. My FJ Cruiser takes 0w/20 synthetic but being water cooled, it doesn't get above 185 degrees.

ZDDP...my understanding is that it provides some sort of molecular coating on wear surfaces to reduce the friction. Especially important for cam lobes and rocker surfaces in our cars. The only reason not to use it would be if you're running with a catalytic converter. I guess the zinc in ZDDP will toast the platinum in your converter.
Mark
I agree about the 0wXX oil in the new cars but I think its more for the lower cS numbers at cold start. I think that your oil will be hotter than your coolant.
After what I've read about the ZDDP I'm not sure about the coating thing but it is bad for the converter. SM oils have 0.08% ZDP, seems like more than enough. More on this below.
Finn
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)