View Single Post

Garage
Same experience for me driving the ex Jerry Brinkley 3.2 turbo that was inported to the UK by a friend. You could feel the spring rate changing between the torsion bar and the helper spring = awful. That car went to 22/29 torsion bars in the end, a tried and proven set up.

Just my $0.02, but these cars are supposed to squat. The problem is trying to fit unnecessarily large rear tyres on them. The squat is essential to what makes 911/930s such great cars. It gives them the rear end traction and corner exit speed that makes them such great track cars. It lets you hold them in a nice little power oversteer drift rather than a snappy full opposite lock moment. If you double the effective rear spring rate with helper springs (as some, not all, are suggesting) then you drastically change the under/oversteer balance towards the oversteer end of the spectrum.

Take a look at the Ruf Yellowbird video at the Ring and see how much squat that car has. IIRC, Ruf used "just" 10 inch wide rear wheels and the suspension was custom bilsteins with slightly larger rear torsion bars (22/26 IIRC and bigger sway bars). This is a car that "handled" - no one can argue that.

Edit - I double checked, Yellowbird was on 205/255 tyres and ran std torsion bars with custom valved bilsteins and bigger sway bars. Not saying that the ultimate suspension by any means but its probably not a bad start

Last edited by 911-32; 06-11-2013 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: Correction
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)