View Single Post

Garage
Reason for so many failed turbo projects

Reason One...

Porsche engineers did(and do today) a much better job of making a turbo entity(the WHOLE car with the factory 3.0L or 3.3L) than any layman can do himself.

Real research and development is what made the 930 the supercar of it's time, not tinkering, not trial and error, but determination combined with science and theory(and a TON of money too).

Factory approved parts are designed and engineered and tested by Porsche. And they all work together in harmony, so the sum of the parts is greater than the whole, not the other way around.

Here is something I learned while in school doing an internship a ANDIAL(which was morphing at that time into Porsche Motorsports North America, under Alwin Springer).
Seeing a Porsche part number, such as '930 ... ..." on a 3.0SC block does not mean it is a 930 part. It's just Porsches wonky part numbering system.

Seeing so many crash and burn projects myself of people trying to make 'turbo's out a standard SC 3.0 or the Carrera 3.2 made me just circumvent all those issues, and I just bought a fresh, complete 3.3L from an 86', and had a shop do the installation. At start up, the car turned over immediately, and has run flawlessly for the past 4 years. That in itself, was a blessing of peace of mind to have a turn-key car.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)