View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986 930 View Post
My Ultra Smith/RUF Conversion has the wooden slats in the 1/4, and the single headlight motor. The only quality difference to me is that I am sure that Porsche dipped the slant fenders and it appears that RUF did not. I have a few spots of cancer showing up on my slant fenders but none any where else (the rest is Stock Body Parts).

I would guess that the other reputable conversion houses did that as well.

If their is "collectible" tax applied by the seller, then they should have the documentation to prove it, not just a code on the bonnet.
1986 930,

Is your car a US or ROW 930? Although I don't know the details of your car, I would assume that Ultrasmith did some electronics owork on your car.. hidden radar, stereo, maybe some seats, and that Ultimate Motorwerks (I think) in N. Jersey did the Ruf mods as they were still the official US Ruf dist around 86/87.. the two companies did a lot of work together and did excellent work.

Yes, there were a number of reputable conversion houses that did slant conversion in the day.. two of the most noteable were Backburn & Daly whose work was so good that Porsche N/A allowed a few of the dealers to actually have the conversion cars sit on the showroom floor alongside other new cars in stock. Blackburn & Daly at the time would only do the conversions on New vehicles.

The other was Alsn Johnson Racing who actually was allowed to sell slant nose conversion parts over the counter. These were factory parts as they were a factory authorized Porsche dealer. They did however offer the factory slant front fenders in 2 styles w/two price points.. factory lights with the single mechanism, and aftermarket Mazda motored headlights with your choice of round or square lights, just as many of the conversion shops offered. The difference was theirs was on factory fenders.

And yes, the owner should have better documentaion, but not all owners gave a hoot.. they just wanted a cool car and had the money to get it. That being said, a code on the bonnet of the later cars should be a good indication of what it is.. and of course the COA or a phone call to Porsche with the Vin should clarify.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)