View Single Post
RENNKRT

Sorry, new member... My 87' turbo is currently a Patrick Motorsports getting cleaned up and adding a big front oil cooler and 993 a/c. Will post when I get my hands on it but you all will know the car.

Ok, this is always an interesting topic. It's a fine line between enjoying the car and hopefully and not losing too much and parking the car and protecting the investment. This is true with all "collectible" cars not just the 930.

Canepa has a 4000 mile 930, asking 125k.. His reputation goes with out saying, the car is stunning. If you buy the car, you can show it, maintain it, but can you enjoy it with out taking a hit, NO. One can buy a high mile stock, and make it drivable but for it to be truly collectible, it will require a total restoration and will still never reach the value of an original.

On the other side, if one wants to enjoy it, buy what turns your crank! If mods are your thing then have at it. Know that you are unlikely to make money and will probably lose money. Better yet buy one that is already moded to your liking and let that guy take the hit, then you have a chance to break even.

As for buying a mod and returning it to stock, it depends.. My feeling is that a truly collectible car is that way only that way once. True collectors are not stupid and returning a moded car to a collectible car is not really possible with out getting caught on the wrong side on the balance sheet.

In the end buy what you are passionate about, have something to drive as they were intended.

Full disclosure. My 930 is a hot rod built by another and I intend to drive the hell out of it. Rock chips, rubber marks, glass blast, etc. Don't misunderstand it will be cared for as only a Porsche nut can, but it won't ever be perfect. I also own and lust after a few collectible cars. I think I have owned 55+cars between drivers, exotics, race and so far semi collectibles in the last 30 years.

Respectfully
Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)