View Single Post
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
Great looking car, Ronnie! White cars are growing on me big-time. Yours, Cole's of course, and Piero's insane one in Italy. Great contrast with the black bits.
Lose the front plate, man! Is FL tough on enforcement? I've got one $25 ticket in 25 years of no front plate on anything I drive in NY.
And great story with your Dad, too. I bet many of us DIY'ers here had an old-school Dad blazing the self-reliance trail for us. I did.
Thanks! Here in Texas it is a fine of $200 (plus fees) for driving on public roads without a front plate. Worse than the threat of the fine, though, is the fact that not having a front plate constitutes probable cause for being pulled over, searched, vehicle searched etc, so it's just not worth the hassle (I do think they look better without, however).

My dad got me started on this DIY stuff, too (though he was not a "car guy" - more of a general, handy man type). My 1st car, back in 1981 or so, was a 1970 Opel GT - not a complete beater, but needed work and constant maintenance. My dad bought the car, and I immediately began making monthly payments. I had to learn how to repair it (mechanical and bodywork) as there was no taking it to the shop as far as he was concerned. I was also forbidden to drive if I did not maintain a B average in school so as to qualify for lower insurance. One thing of interest about the Opel - I began driving on my own at age 15 (was legal age in South Dakota at the time) and promptly put the car in a ditch less than three months after getting my license (too fast on a gravel road). Trying to explain that to dear 'ole Dad is NOT a fond memory! I've carried this DIY way of thinking with me ever since (and my love for German cars, too).

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 06-07-2013 at 05:40 PM..
Old 06-07-2013, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)