View Single Post

Yes, you can use the wheel studs when the car is on jackstands because the ground isn't far away to brace the end of it. I used to do it that way with a piece of pipe years ago before I had a long prybar.

If the car is up in the air on a lift and you're working under it there may be no where to brace the end of a long prybar or pipe placed between the wheel studs and then the other way I mentioned will work.
It's still the better way because you don't have to get out from under the car to reposition the pipe between the wheel studs as you rotate the axle a little at a time to have good access to all the allen head bolts.

A mechanics prybar is like a real thick 4 sided shank flat blade screwdriver where the end is bent over about 20 degrees.
You can get them real cheap at harbor freight or pay alot for one off a snapon truck. The snapon one is hopefully made of better steel but who knows.

When working on different cars at a shop all day it is one of the most useful rock ape tools you'll have along with a machinest scribe.

The 24" one in this set from harbor freight tools is perfect for this.
4 Piece Heavy Duty Pry Bar Set
Old 06-10-2013, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)