View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
One of these days the bits and pieces will become unobtanium
CIS would be fine, up to a point, if you can get gas. (Can't say I'm a fan of 8 MPG in town and soggy throttle response, but there you go).

But what about the day when all you can get at the pump is E35?

Leaving politics out of it, it's pretty clear that those decisions aren't based on logic, reason or facts. I think it's going to get worse, before it gets better. If it ever gets better.

The stoichiometric ratio for ethanol is in single-digits, 9:1 instead of 14.7:1 for gas (or twice as much fuel by mass - 11% versus 6.8% for gas). So your chances of getting whatever "12:1 on boost with gas" equates to with (say) E35 - from CIS - are pretty much slim to none right now.

Only reason I can see to retain CIS is on a completely original car, where you hurt re-sale by modifying it - even where those modifications improve the car, make it safer, drive better, more power etc.

Which is why I deliberately bought a bastard - because resale and/or originality concerns me not one jot, and I can fit later factory parts or parts designed in the last 5 years with impunity. Strangely, they often work a lot better than stuff designed 40 years ago - and for a completely different set of criteria...
Old 06-15-2013, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)